Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garden Art Mushrooms

Hello Ladies,  I'm back from vacation and I think am finally rested up.  We went to NM where they have the biggest fire in the history of the state going.  Smoke chases you, you know.  It was far enough away that we didn't have to run.  Thank God.

Awhile back I said I was working on some Garden Art and that I would post a picture.  With lots of help from Bob, we finally have mushrooms in the yard.  All it takes is some dead logs from our woods, some bowls from Goodwill, a little spray paint and a screw.

OK that's materials.  I was picky about my shapes and looked for only stainless steel bowls.  I sprayed the insides a pale yellow and - on this first bunch, I used red for the outside.  Then I made a pattern which was a circle punched out of paper, laid it on the bowl and sprayed the white.   Bob drilled a hole in the center and screwed it to the logs for me.  They are by no means perfect, but I'm happy. 
Here is my second one.  I think this lid is from a wok.  It's awesome.

The third ones were a little harder.  I couldn't find bowls in the perfect shape, but close.  I think the hardest part was placing the logs in the ground just right.  They ARE NOT just right, but they are staying the way they are and, for this year at least, I have mushroom garden art.

This last set is sprayed orange and left plain with no spots. 


When he got half way through drilling these orange ones, my sweetie asked me if the bowls were stainless steel as they would be much harder to drill.  Oops!  He did a fine job and really the only hard one was the mixing bowl as it has a double bottom.  Now I think I need to be done with this type of project for awhile as today we bought LOTS of flowers to plant  Have a nice weekend.

 




16 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! I love the dotty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE those polka dot mushrooms! You did a great job painting them and they look so cool all nestled in your garden spots! Neat log bases, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out great. I like the dotted ones best. I'll have to check them out next time I'm over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are brilliant! I'll be making a slew of them for my own yard. I have a little 'fairy tour' and they'll be a big hit, I'm sure. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fairy tour sounds wonderful. I think I need to look for some fairies. I do have an old knome near the one large red mushroom and I guess I give my own mushroom tour when I have guests. Just becuase I need to show off. :)

      Delete
    2. I did it! Come take a peek :) http://blog.pixiehill.com/2013/04/ice-and-toadstools.html

      Delete
  5. LOVE these ~ they look Amazing!! Beautiful work!
    Nancy xx :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you get the logs to stay standing up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bury them in the ground. I think Bob said 6-8" is underground. So far they have not come out. :)

      Delete
  7. love these... such a great recycle craft! thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ya :)
    This may sound a silly question - but what type of spray paint is it? Is it waterproof etc etc?? Really want to try this, but the weather in England is usually wet haha. So just want to make sure I get the right type of paint. Thanks!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. i done mine with wood salad bowls, just put a clear coating and connected to the limbs, have had people asking how i done them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. bedside tables

    ReplyDelete